Soccer

Postby haroun » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:50 am

Here's a clip I am sure you'll enjoy...

http://www.scsrala.com/video%20Zidane%20-%20Ronaldinho.wmv

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby Abou Jamra » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm

CNN) -- Diego Maradona has been offered the job of becoming Argentina's new national coach following a meeting with Football Association chiefs in Buenos Aires on Tuesday.

Maradona, 48 later this week, will be assisted by Carlos Bilardo who will fill the post of director of football as Argentina bid to clinch qualification for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Julio Grondona, head of the Argentine FA, had led the search for a successor to Alfio Basile who quit after a qualifying defeat to Chile that left the nation in third place after 10 matches, seven points adrift of leaders Paraguay.

Maradona faced competition for the job from Carlos Bianchi, the former coach of Boca Juniors, San Lorenzo coach Miguel Angel Russo and Sergio Batista who took the Under-23 squad to Olympic gold in Beijing in August.

Maradona and Bilardo would not confirm they accepted the positions after leaving the meeting with Grandona.

"We have to keep talking," Maradona told reporters."There are some things to resolve. This is just beginning."

Bilardo agreed. "Are things getting started? Yes."

AFA and Grondona were yet to make official statements following the meeting.

Later, Maradona told Buenos Aires-based La Red radio that "just to go to this meeting and be considered in the running is an honor."

Born in 1960 in Villa Fiorito, Maradona went on to almost single-handedly take his country to World Cup Final glory in 1986 and then back to the final four years later where they were beaten by West Germany.

As well as leading unfashionable Napoli to two Italian League titles and breaking the world record transfer fee when he joined Barcelona in 1982, Maradona went on to become regarded as perhaps the greatest footballer who ever played the game.

Maradona is best known for his two goals in the 2-1 victory over England in the quarterfinal of the 1986 tournament.

The first was the "Hand of God" goal when he punched the ball beyond goalkeeper Peter Shilton and the second was a "Goal of the Century" contender in the shape of a spectacular 60-metre weave through six England players.

Off the field he has battled major drug addictions, massive weight gain and erratic behaviour but recently returned to prominence hosting a popular Argentine television show.

With his drug problems behind him, Maradona is prepared to begin a new chapter in his life.

"I will fight to become the national-team coach until the last minute" Maradona insisted recently.

"The opportunities are there, my chances are still intact. I will have to put together my coaching team to compete with the other candidates. I'm fully devoted to the cause, and if necessary I will get to work at 8 in the morning."

GREAT NEWS

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Return to General