The Abou Jamra Journal. Jieh 07

Just say Hello, Hi and other Discussions

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

The Abou Jamra Journal. Jieh 07

Postby Abou Jamra » Thu May 17, 2007 7:23 am

I will use this thread as a journal. I will post articles, news and photos about the Jieh 07 summer. I will do my best to keep you guys informed as well as entertained.

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Thu May 17, 2007 1:32 pm

Please do not deface the church with your spraypaint thankyou AJ..
We will be waiting for your updates eagerly...
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Postby haroun » Fri May 18, 2007 4:50 am

Enjoy your stay and don't forget to post some pics.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby danyhr » Fri May 18, 2007 6:38 am

Have a safe trip and try post photos other than orange sunset over Nassifs...
In much of your talking, thinking is half murdered - GKG.
danyhr
advanced member

Postby Charbel » Fri May 18, 2007 12:07 pm

Your now in charge of posting the Jieh Summer 2007 video on youtube.

Roam through the streets of the jieh. Talk to the oldies. Especially the oldies.

Make a sort of Jieh documentary report.
Charbel
advanced member

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Sun May 20, 2007 8:05 am

Documentary reports should be unbiased...
Prince Cadmus II

Postby haroun » Mon May 21, 2007 3:59 am

I heard AJ made it and enjoying the sun in Jieh...

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Mon May 21, 2007 4:19 am

Im sure he is also enjoying the crackle of gunfire ensuing through the Lebanese Army vs. Fatah-Islam deul....
Prince Cadmus II

Postby Abou Jamra » Mon May 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Just writing to say Gday

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. The connection here sucks, its took me 3 minutes to log in.

I will start posting tomorrow. It's a long walk to this internet cafe. I dont like using the Nabe Younis one, so i come down to the one next to Jonas. I am in a hurry and i am starving.

Untill tom.

Abou Jamra

Postby Charbel » Mon May 21, 2007 9:45 pm

Whatever happened to those computers that were donated to the church?
Charbel
advanced member

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Wed May 23, 2007 1:41 am

Ive heard alot about the shit connection of that cafe in Nabi Younes. Sorry to hear that bro, it pains me to think people still live in those 33.6kbps modem days...

How's the war going?
Prince Cadmus II

Postby danyhr » Wed May 23, 2007 4:27 am

How are you going over there? If you run into my grandmother, tell her to take care. She's the one gearing up for battle, tough one she is.

Yalla, tell us something.
In much of your talking, thinking is half murdered - GKG.
danyhr
advanced member

Postby Abou Jamra » Fri May 25, 2007 1:13 pm

Sat 19/5/07

Arrived at Beirut Airport (RHA ) at 9.50 am. Foreigners in one line, Lebanese nationals in another, and the European prostitutes were on the far left. “Ahlan bel shab” the customs officer greeted me, “shoo fee 3ana?” he asked, “Sayfeyee” I enthusiastically replied, he stamped my passport and I made my way through customs hassle free, without being searched and without the “baksheesh”. One thing I noticed since my last trip were that the pictures of Hafez Assad are no longer there, they have replaced by yet another ghost Ali Baba Rafic Hariri.

Dany Azzi picked me and we made our way to Jieh. I can honestly say that this was by far the most dangerous and the scariest ride I had ever been on. I spent the whole trip cursing dany (and every other driver for that matter) for his/their driving and praying that I make to Jieh alive. Their are no road rules here and I am yet to see a traffic light, a roundabout or a stop sign (not that anybody stop here or obeys the signs).

We arrived in Jieh at 10.30 am. I love it, I have always loved it and I will continue on loving on it especially now that I have seen it as a grown up. This might sound very “cheesy” but I cannot find the words to express how I feel about this place, I am so attached to it, I am so in love with it and I could possibly never leave it.

We drove up to my house, the street leading up to the church, you know visiting old places is always more exciting than visiting new one, I have so many memories of this town. Dany helped me with my luggage and we made our way into the house. I placed my bags on the floor locked the door, ran down the stairs and I sprinted up to the Church. Wow!!! It’s absolutely massive, it’s beautiful. I wont put in words what you guys will soon see in photos and I am sure you guys have all seen it before me so their is little use in describing (if there are words to describe) the scenery.

I walked around the Hara, the first thing that came to mind was Haroun. Dude wtf are you doing in the states man? You have a beautiful house here, a very nice and a very well maintained garden whose fruits in enjoyed, your located in the most pleasant location in Jieh and you’re only a minute walk away from me.

Dany invited me over for lunch with his family. Yes Abou Jamra had his first lunch at the baladiyee Head Quarters with Dr George Nader Azzi and his family. His mother was most hospitable and served a delightful dish of Lebanese and Asian food, which we enjoyed with Almaza (the nicest beer I have ever drank). Following the lunch Dr Azzi and I discussed national as well as international politics and of course the current state of our village, which he is overly concerned about. I will not discuss in detail the nature of conversation but the meeting was very successful and I wish to thank Dr Azzi and his family for hosting me.

We walked across the road to the Abou Chaoki supermarket i caught up with Rony, Katrine, Roula and Rabieh, I done my grocery shopping and then I headed back home. The place was a mess. I got one of the boys here to organize a lady to clean up the place for me and all it cost me was 20000 LL. I am going to recommend this lady to everybody. Late in the afternoon the boys came around and we went up to play a game soccer in the court next to the church. I will post some photos of the court and the club house when I find a decent internet connection, but a good time was had by all and even the Nabe Younis boys joined in. following the game we sat on the benches beneath the trees next to the phone box across the road from the church we stayed there till 2 am smoking arghile, drinking almaza and having a good time.

The mosquitoes must have really missed me, they have been sucking on me all night. I hadn’t discovered the magic of “vape” then, but now I know it’s a necessity in every household.

I hadn’t slept in 48 hours. I was looking forward to having shower and going to bed. I undressed myself and jumped in the shower. Turned on the tap and what do you know??? No hot water. Apparently you have to turn on the “2azan”. I couldn’t wait 3 hrs for the water to warm and it’s a little bit cold to have a cold shower. So what I do? I boil the kettle and start filling up buckets and dumping over me. Welcome to Lebanon Abou Jamra.

I got up at 5.30 am Sunday morning. The morning here is perhaps the best time of the day especially when the sky is clear and it usually is. I made myself coffee sat on the balcony and enjoyed the view. At around 6 am the old ladies start making their way to the church all heading from different directions. I was still a little jet lagged, but I didn’t want to go to sleep just in case I slept in and I missed the 10.30 mass. The battery on my cell phone was dead and there was no electricity, I haven’t got “eshterak” yet so setting the alarm clock was out of the question. I asked my neighbor Taunt Loude to wake me at 9. I jumped back in bed and barely 10 minutes later the boys start banging on the gates down stairs. WTF I just met these guys what do they want so early in the morning? I walk out to the balcony and “mana2eeeeeeeeeeesh” they yell. They got me breakfast. How nice of them 6.15 in the morning. We had breakfast followed by another coffee and then we made our way up to church. Every body comes to the 10.30 mass except the oldies that go at 6 am, jieh people come from all over Lebanon to spend the weekend here and attend Sunday mass at their church. Father Azzi served mass.

Early in the afternoon after lunch we played a game of basketball at Harouns house against his brothers. It was a very competitive match and we played for about 3 hours. I had the pleasure of meeting the haroun family on the day and the displeasure of joining Jack and Clara on a jog. Jack felt like running and he asked me to join him, I thought it would be a jog around around the block. Next thing you know we are getting dropped of at the Camille Chamoun palace and I am told we are jogging back from here. Peace of cake I thought. I managed the first kilometer without any trouble. Clara started dropping back and jack started accelerating. I kept up with him about another 400 meters, then I just I gave up. He was just too fast and too fit for me.

If you think news travels fast in Australia you should see it here. I barely made it back into the “7hara” then everybody starts asking, “shoo m7a2a rou7et terkod wa rje3et mashee?. Jack got the better of me on this occasion but I will get him back. I Came back home and had a warm shower, the “2azaan” was on, but the water is tastes disgusting and the pressure is very low, so shaving my legs in the shower is going to be difficult.

We spent the next day at the beach. The resorts here are phenomenal. I will post photos and describe them later. I was invited to the Abou Chawki residence for dinner. Emm Rabieh served at least 10 different dishes, excluding the maza. The food was rather delicious; mid way through the meal the maid runs out and tell us that another bomb had exploded in Verdun. Other than the ladies who ran into the kitchen to see what was happening we remained calm and kept drinking arak. They were rather shocked by my calm reaction, but life goes on. Things ought to get worse before they get better. I believe we should sacrifice this summer even this coming winter. Lezem toukbar 2abel am touzghar. If the army needs recruits I am willing to volunteer.

I spent Tuesday in Jieh. I am working on a report to submit to the Council and Dr George N Azzi. This village has many riches which must be exploited. I won’t discuss my plan now, but my goal (although it might be long term, but we must start working on it now) is to double if not triple the value of property here. It’s very possible.

I spent the afternoon hunting. There are many check points on the roads and Ashrafieh was closed, we stayed at home watching the news, playing cards at getting drunk.

Wednesday we went down to Harriristan Saida. The Knefe there is the best. Whilst walking around saida our shopping bags and backpacks were searched at least 5 times, the country is on high alert and there are threats of terrorist attacks. Scooters have been banned in some areas, and anybody who doesn’t look like a local is being searched. This actually puzzled me. How do they distinguish? I mean do I look like a terrorist walking around in cargo shorts, thongs, a singlet, sunglasses and a crucifix around my neck? Have you see saida people? 3ajeebe. We visited some of the historical landmarks and headed back home.

The Church Square is always buzzing with people early in the evening and they usually stay there till 1 am. I stopped past Haroun’s parents for coffee, I knocked on the side door near the drive way a couple of times. Meen? Meen? emm haroun screams out? Wlak ana ana I reply. She asked me to come from the front gate; his dad rather than greeting me with a hello screams at me and blasts me for disturbing his sleep. Shoo Badak jeye twa3eene? His mother was more diplomatic “tfadal habibi tfadel, yalla badak ahwe?” I walked enjoyed the almaza, nuts followed by dinner and coffe. I skipped dinner because harouns dad thought it was too salty he refused to it. I wont post his comments here but they were hysterical.

I enjoyed a nice conversation with Harouns dad, we were discussing politics, and his mother was more interested in building the church. She refuses to discuss politics apparently she hangs up the phone every time Haroun raises the subject she must be an FPMer. Abou Haroun asked about Harouns political affiliation, this was the funniest part of the conversation. I told him Haroun m3arad 3al kell. From George nader to nassif His reply, Dakhlak s2ale ye leish howe meen m2aydo?loooooool howe meen ma3o???? I was in stitches from laughter.

Harouns dad went to play cards at Jamils, and I walked to the square, the boys were there smoking argyle. We stayed there for an hour then we went up to barja for dinner. There was no electricity and they were still scared to drive down to Beirut, I convinced them into going. Just as we got to the Damour bridge (still under construction) we receive a phone that bomb had gone off in Aley. We came back home the electricity comes back on at 10pm. We spent the evening watching the news and playing cards.

Thursday morning we went and visited the Jieh fortresses. Talet al raheb, talet Z3aitar, and talet abou hussien. I served on these fronts when I was little boy. The LF cross is still visible there. I will post the photos. Finally I had repaired dad’s car. The horn a necessity here wasn’t working I drove up to barja to get it fixed. On average you use the car horn here 10 times in every km. Whether it’s to beep at some maniac driving besides you, a pretty girl walking on the road or simply to tararatataaaaaaaa. GE NE RAL. I love Lebanon. But I don’t think Lebanon loves me. A bomb has gone off every day I have been here.

We drove down to Beirut, me in the drivers seat doing 130km on the free way. I love Lebanon. No cops to pull you over.

The army presence is very visible there are checkpoints everywhere. Despite showing them an Australian passport we were still searched, I wont complain about this. I encourage it. This government should do it more often. I drove through ashrafieh and past the ABC mall where the bomb had gone off. Then we made our way to Bourj Hammoud and Nab3a. I have many memories of those places. I grew up there. I can still remember Diego Maradona conquering the world in the 1986 world cup. I visited the AL SANABEL School; we used to take shelter in the underground bunker there during the civil war. The our lady statue has been moved to another block, Video Azzi has been bulldozed, pictures of Bachir Gemayel, Ssamir Geagea and the LF cross are all over the place. Abou Elie supermarket is still there, and the Elie Ahwaje panel beating work shop is still there. The garbage bump has been moved. The stench which once made nab3a infamous has disappeared. The visit to Nab3a was very emotional; I spent most of my childhood here. It honestly brought tears to by eyes, I don’t know how I am going to prepare my self for the trip to Jbeil. My first love Natalie used to live there. I was an innocent young child then…

We didn’t have time to drive further north, we head back down to Beirut, the Cornish and the rawshe. The army had closed down town, I wanted to see the protest camps from up close, the parliament house, St George church etc but we were denied entry come back another time they said. Perhaps tomorrow.

Took some photos and we had a meal at the rawshe, then we drove through Da7ieh and came back to Jieh. In the evening we went down to Damour, we had a drink at Oceana, took some photos at Jana, then we enjoyed a cocktail there. I love Lebanon and Lebanon is starting to love me. No explosions today.

Abou Jamra

Postby Abou Jamra » Fri May 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Charbel wrote:Whatever happened to those computers that were donated to the church?

They cant find someone responsible enough to open the club house. i will discuss this later.

Prince.... war? what war? wlak mafe shee the whole nation is behind the army. Give them a few more days.

Danyhr, i dont know her. Whats her name? if she is ready for battle i will fighting besides her.

i will write some more in a couple of days.

Abou Jamra

Postby Charbel » Fri May 25, 2007 4:27 pm

great 1st up report Jamra.

Brings back many good memories and how i felt when i got there for the first time.

looking forward to the next one.
Charbel
advanced member

Next

Return to General