US plans new military presence in Lebanon

Opinions, Editorials and Discussion

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

US plans new military presence in Lebanon

Postby Charbel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:45 am

The US plans new military presence in Lebanon including big air installation close by Syrian border

The air base, according to DEBKAfile’s military sources, will be located at Kleiat in northern Lebanon roughly 75 air miles from Damascus, which these days doubles as a shared Syrian-Iranian military hub and Tehran’s eastern Mediterranean forward base. The American air installation will also lie 22 air miles from Tartous, Syria’s main naval base and the Russian Mediterranean fleet’s command center. And the aircraft posted there will be minutes away from the joint Syrian-Iranian arms and missiles industries at Homs and Hamma.

DEBKAfile’s source report the Bush administration’s drastic change of policy on Lebanon was settled in consultations at the Pentagon and National Security Council after the talks the chief of the US Central Command Adm. William Fallon held with Lebanese government heads on July 29.

This new direction was confirmed after the Israeli air raid over Syria of Sept. 6.

It brings the American military back to Lebanon after a 25-year absence. In 1983, President Ronald Reagan pulled US troops out of the country after Syrian military intelligence orchestrated terrorist bombing attacks on the US embassy and Marines headquarters in Beirut, which left more than 300 soldiers, diplomats and CIA agents dead.

The first stage of construction will reactivate the small defunct air base at Kleiat as a joint US-Lebanese venture. Prime minister Fouad Siniora will explain that the four months of bloody fighting to crush the Fatah al-Islam revolt in the northern Nahar al-Bared camp demonstrated how badly the Lebanese army needs an operational air base in the region. US Air Force engineers and technicians have begun work on the new air field. At a later stage, it will be expanded for American military use.

http://www.debka.com/headline.php?hid=4659

Interesting, With bases now in Afghanistan, Iraq, the gulf and Israel and now Lebanon. Syria and Iran are cornered from all sides.

Whens the attack happening?
Charbel
advanced member

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:05 am

It might just turn out into a new cold war if anything..
Though the Mediterranean is ample room for warships to launch strikes instead of Lebanese land.. so who knows..
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Postby haroun » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:42 am

This will be a dream come through! The main value of such a base is the eyes and ears it provides to track the forces of the ayatollah, and other terrorists.

Anyone remember the hawker hunters? The pride and joy of the Lebanese airforce.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:57 am

Hehehehe those dear hawker hunters.. I don't know why they wasted their time with those things.

I'd like to see a few F-117 Stealth Bombers, F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and some B-52 Superfortress Bombers added to the air force and stationed at that base with LAF paintwork on the wings and tail..
Prince Cadmus II

Postby Abou Jamra » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:24 am

Great, we are cheering for the new invaders. I can see Haroun throwing rice and rose petals at the US army and across the road little Hussein throwing bombs.

Do you guys really think that the intention of this is to boost the capabilities of the Lebanese army? think again...

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 am

Abou Jamra wrote:Do you guys really think that the intention of this is to boost the capabilities of the Lebanese army? think again...

No but at least the scales will be even now and we ain't forking the cash out for this exercise like we had to in July 06.

Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Hezbollah all want a piece of Lebanon's cake, well the US ain't gonna sit on the sidelines and watch everyone eat, they're going to naturally jump in and take a piece of the action too. Well, good for them, right at Syria's doorstep... stay tuned for more action.
Prince Cadmus II

Postby Abou Jamra » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 am

oh most deff more action and bloddier this time. It will all start in 2 weeks if they elect a president with a simple majority 50+1 and if saniora stays on as pm.

Abou Jamra

Re: US plans new military presence in Lebanon

Postby GWB » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:16 am

hahahaha.... all the excitement. this will never happen. lol.
GWB

Re: US plans new military presence in Lebanon

Postby Abou Jamra » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:14 pm

GWB wrote:hahahaha.... all the excitement. this will never happen. lol.

Been telling them so for 6 month.I dont know they feel compelled to inform of this.

REGIME CHANGE IN SYRIA IS OUT OF THE QUESTION. why? their is simply no better alternative. If the US really wanted to Democracy in the mid east, it should reasses its relations with Libya, KSA, Egypt and the whole arab world for that matter.

Abou Jamra

Return to Politics - Lebanon