Have to sell your land? Sell it to the right people HERE

Opinions, Editorials and Discussion

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

Have to sell your land? Sell it to the right people HERE

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Maronites Confront Alleged Scheme to Set Up "Mini Iran" in Lebanon

The U.S.-based World Maronite Union has set up a special fund to finance the purchase of real estate in Lebanon to prevent Hizbullah from setting up a "mini Iran" in the multi-sect country.
The union, in a statement published by Kuwait's as-Siyassa newspaper, noted that Iran has allotted 14 billion dollars to finance the purchase of property owned by Christians in south, east and Mount Lebanon to "link Shiite populated sectors with the aim of setting up the Islamic Republic of Lebanon."

The statement, issued by WMU chairman Sami el-Khoury, said "millions of square meters of land have been sold between 1992 and 2005."

Hizbullah-affiliated investors and real estate companies have purchased land from Christians in areas east of the southern provincial capital of Sidon, Jezzine and the western sector of the Bekaa valley stretching as far east as the town of Zahleh, the statement said.

It said the Iranian government has recently "allotted 30 billion dollars" to finance the project that also aims at linking the Shiite-populated south to the Shiite-populated Baalbek-Hermel Province that borders Syria.

Such a project, according to the statement, also aims at linking the Hermel region to Shiite Villages in Byblos and Kesrouan provinces by purchasing the Christian-owned highlands of the western mountainous range.

"Speedy efforts are underway to ….set up the mini Iran in Lebanon," the statement warned.

"The WMU has decided to sound the alarm and urge Immigrant Maronite Communities and wealthy Lebanese to finance the World Lebanese Fund to confront this conspiracy."

The fund, the statement said, aims at purchasing land from Christians who need to sell "to preserve the Christian nature of these areas and avoid demographic changes.

Beirut, 10 Nov 07, 09:54
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Postby danyhr » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:19 am

i have previously expressed my concern on similar issues . It is a serious matter. Even each one of us can make a difference. Start within the village and encourage your friends from other villages to take heed of what's going on in the motherland, before it's too late.
In much of your talking, thinking is half murdered - GKG.
danyhr
advanced member

Postby GWB » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:36 am

lol... where is that article from?

as if iran has 30 bill to spare.
GWB

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:02 am

Interesting point made.. it does sound strange where 30 billion can come from. CIA world factbook states that recent high oil prices have enabled Iran to amass just under 60 billion dollars in foreign reserves.

Its foreign debt is at $13billion while its account balance is at around $16billion. Sending $30billion over to Lebanon seems like a very risky move on part of the health of the economy. Unemployment is extremely high and it generally means even though the country has money, it doesn't have money to throw out like that. On those premises, that rumor of $30billion sounds made up. It would be something in the tens of millions if anything, like $30million perhaps.

Critics of its economy say that nothing is being done to service its ailing petroleum industry which is a ticking time bomb, considering high demand with not enough supply. 40% of the population live below the poverty line.
They also say that Iran disproportionately spends alot more on weapons than on the population.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Return to Politics - Lebanon