Can you imagine the Lebanese March 8 & 14 version? *@#*^

Opinions, Editorials and Discussion

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

Can you imagine the Lebanese March 8 & 14 version? *@#*^

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 am

Street hotline lets New Yorkers chat free with Iranians

Sunday Jan 20 09:44 AEDT

Given a chance to chat free by phone with Iranians, New Yorkers on Saturday asked about films, travel and potential mates, not war.

"If I ever visit Iran, where would you recommend me to visit?" asked Amy Poneymirou, 33.

Dana Ashfari, 26 and single, giggled as she asked an Iranian woman if she knew of any good-looking Iranian men for her.

"I talked to a woman who teaches English literature," said Ashfari, who was born in Iran but came to the United States with her family when she was four years old.

The teacher urged her to "come there, they know a lot of them," Ashfari told AFP.

The aim of the four red telephones set up outside City Hall in Manhattan was to give regular Americans a chance to talk for a few minutes with regular Iranians, and eliminate the fears of war that are pervading both cultures.

"For us this is like a step towards working together. They first talk together and then they work together," said Jethro Heiko, 34, a member of Enough Fear, the anti-war group that organized the stunt.

"We give an example to governments: We are talking. We are not afraid to talk and we think our governments should talk, (have) direct talks about the issues. I don't think there has ever been harm by talking."

A similar event took place in Boston in November. The group uses vintage red telephones, meant to evoke the hotline that connected US and Soviet leaders during the Cold War, and provides interpreters to translate.

Tensions have run high between the two countries, most recently over Iran's nuclear program and US demands that Tehran suspend uranium enrichment.

The United States broke off diplomatic relations with Iran in 1980, shortly after the Islamic Revolution and a lengthy US hostage ordeal.

"For us this is all about creating dialogue and promoting peace through dialogue. I don't believe that people go to war if they respect each other and learn about each other," said Heiko.

In response to a New Yorker's query about a movie, the person on the other recommended "The Wind Will Carry Us," by director Abbas Kiarostami.

"It helps people make up their own minds although it is definitely anecdotal," said Blair of the event. "The idea was not to talk politics and really try to connect on a more human level."

And the Iranian woman speaking to Poneymirou recommended she visit the capital, Tehran.

"This idea is fantastic because the supposed problems that we have with Iran are coming from the governments and not necessarily from the people," she said.

"The more citizens have a better understanding of who Iranians are the better and more respectfully our nations will interact."
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Postby Charbel » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:03 am

Bunch of hippies
Charbel
advanced member

Postby haroun » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:03 am

Agree with Charbel. who else but hippies ask about the latest iranian movies? Do they think Tehran is Hollywood?

I wish I was close to NY city hall or Boston to swear at those mullahs day and night...

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:10 am

Perhaps they were tight asses as well... anything for a free call :lol:
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Return to Politics - Lebanon