Tent City Profession

Opinions, Editorials and Discussion

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

Tent City Profession

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Members of Lebanon's Hezbollah-led opposition on Wednesday began dismantling a protest camp in Beirut following a deal to end the country's prolonged political crisis, an AFP correspondent witnessed.

Militants who had set up a tent city 18 months ago in the downtown area to force the government to resign could be seen gathering their belongings and putting them on pick-up trucks.

“I have been here for one year and 177 days,” said Ali Hammoud, 21, a Hezbollah member. “We were just waiting today for the order to clear.”

“I was paid 10,000 Lebanese pounds [$6.66] a day to stay in a tent, and I could eat, sleep and drink for free," he added.

Lebanon's parliament speaker and opposition leader Nabih Berri had announced an immediate lifting of the sit-in following the Arab-brokered deal between rival factions in Doha.

The protest began on December 1, 2006, when the opposition set up a sprawling tent city on streets leading to Prime Minister Fouad Siniora's offices in a bid to force him to step down.

It transformed a large swathe of the once-bustling city center into a ghost town, forcing dozens of restaurants and businesses to shut down.

-AFP/NOW Staff
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Postby Abou Jamra » Wed May 21, 2008 1:08 pm

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

All tents will be dismantled by midnight tonight lebanon time.

Thank you all.

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Postby Adel » Wed May 21, 2008 1:19 pm

Militants who had set up a tent city 18 months ago

just that line shows me the article is biased. some discerned reading on this forum could work wonders
Adel

Postby Abou Jamra » Wed May 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Anything this NO Opinion Workshop (NOW LEB Mag)publishes is biased. just look at the figures they published in their "special report" on GMA.

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Return to Politics - Lebanon