1994 naturalisation- another request for help

Opinions, Editorials and Discussion

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

1994 naturalisation- another request for help

Postby Adel » Sun May 25, 2008 7:49 am

i have been reading that the Syrian occupation resulted in the naturalisation of upto 400000 people.

can someone who knows lead me to a few reliable sources and if possible where they are registered to vote?
Adel

Postby jieh2008 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:48 pm

it was a commentary from the editor of the national interest on international affairs and american foreign policy.

it was like a predictions for lebanon dated august 04,2006, that hariri and siniora are pushing to naturalize and enfranchise all the 400000 palestinians in lebanon in order to ensure that they are political allies. specifically , and with the support of saudi arabia, the lebanese sunni leadership is reported to be considering the creation of its own sunni palestinian islamic army to counter the shea' and iranian challenge in the country. anyway some of palestinins were naturalize in sidon, beirut and bekaa because of intermarriges and with the syrian influence to naturalize some alawites in beirut and tripoli and sorry, i don't have the breakdown numbers for each.
jieh2008
advanced member

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 am

I remember reading up on this a while back. These 400,000 were naturalised back in 1994, but upon a request by the Maronite Catholic Church to review and remove this, their citizenships were revoked and the bill was removed. Even though there is talk of it now, it is not the days of 1994 anymore, and I doubt there is any serious motion going ahead with this.

Intermarriages are common but fall under existing law already as is with any other marriage when women marry into Lebanese male citizens. They do not become naturalised, however their children become citizens through their Lebanese father.

It is a huge issue if they want to naturalise the 400,000 and is not going to go ahead outside a framework of national reconciliation especially when Christians on both sides of the political arena and most Lebanese reject this idea, even the Palestinians themselves. You can move someone's house but you cannot change their home, their home is back home and it always will be. They will not accept to be forced to change their identity.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Re: 1994 naturalisation- another request for help

Postby Abou Jamra » Mon May 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Adel wrote:i have been reading that the Syrian occupation resulted in the naturalisation of upto 400000 people.

can someone who knows lead me to a few reliable sources and if possible where they are registered to vote?

These rumours always circulate around election time or at demonstrations, although there is no solid proof. I am sure if the government wanted to address this matter it can easily set up a commitee to investigate.

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Postby Adel » Mon May 26, 2008 3:19 pm

hahaha. yeah the government could investigate. how long since hariri died? what is happening with that investigation
Adel

Postby Abou Jamra » Tue May 27, 2008 9:45 am

Adel wrote:hahaha. yeah the government could investigate. how long since hariri died? what is happening with that investigation

lol where is Haroun? he doesn't usually miss an opportunity to attack the opposition.. how did he let this go? :P

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Postby haroun » Tue May 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Adel this a good topic to bring up, I wish I had definite info about it. But, there is something we can be sure of, even if they naturalize 1000000 Palestenian, that doesn't offset the rate of growth of shi3a population in Lebanon those years.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby Prince Cadmus II » Tue May 27, 2008 5:19 pm

Just a note on the side...

In Biology, rates of growth of populations tend to be highest, across the world, in poorer farming communities more than anything else as a kind of pension plan for when the parents grow old. These families tend to be large families to be able to support the parents later on in life.

I think the Shia fit very well in this picture for socio-economic reasons more than anything else. I don't think it is confined to them however because that would be too much of a generalisation.

Also, you have to look at the points of exit during the civil war. The amount of people who fled were those who a) either had connections in other countries, b) were in areas that were under their party's control which allowed their easy exit from the country, and c) had the money to flee.

I think perhaps the Shia were more in areas that were kind of out of reach in order to be able to flee from the country, and so during the war, alot of them did not have the expediency that other communities had to be able to leave.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Postby Adel » Wed May 28, 2008 2:47 pm

haroun wrote:Adel this a good topic to bring up, I wish I had definite info about it. But, there is something we can be sure of, even if they naturalize 1000000 Palestenian, that doesn't offset the rate of growth of shi3a population in Lebanon those years.

so having babies is bad? the Christian birth rates in the past have been higher than shia birth rates.

thanks PC2 for the wise words

birth rates are proportional to income. fix the country, create infrastructure and jobs, distribute income in a fair and equitable manner and your fear of the hordes of shia babies invading will be alleviated.

instead we have a government who decision are based on fear and greed. we might as well be ruled by monkeys

haroun i am interested if you have or are able to say anything bad about the government or good about the opposition

or are we really seeing a fight of pure good and evil right before our eyes. the government must be preparing the way for Christ.
Adel

Return to Politics - Lebanon