A Real Maverick Indeed

Opinions, Editorials and Discussion

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

A Real Maverick Indeed

Postby haroun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 am

Lebanon's Samir Geagea: A Maverick - Hussain Abdul-Hussain - The Huffington Post.

Those who are familiar with the Middle East know that politics in the region are tantamount to mafia wars. Politicians pride themselves for being "realistic" as they frequently turncoat.

In Lebanon, political realism can rarely be differentiated from opportunism. Politicians flip-flop as they talk. Instead of calling out this kind of deception, journalists have become hired guns serving on payrolls. When Lebanese politicians change positions - often drastically - the media praises change deeming it "necessary for national interests."

As a result of the impunity of politicians and their conspiring media outlets, words and principles in Arab countries - especially Lebanon - account for little.

But one politician stands out for always sticking to his principles: Samir Geagea.

Coming from an economically underprivileged family, the exceptionally brilliant Samir Geagea won every available scholarship, and made his way to the medical school at the prestigious American University of Beirut.

In 1975, Lebanon was divided between Christians - who tied their existence to protecting an ailing Lebanese state that they dominated - and Muslims bent on replacing the Christians at the helm of state power. For their plan, Muslims borrowed the muscle of Lebanon-based Palestinian militias that were presumably fighting to liberate neighboring Palestine.

That was how Lebanon looked when Samir Geagea came of political, and for that matter paramilitary, age. Being a Christian, it was natural for Geagea to join the Lebanese Forces, an umbrella organization for Christian militias fighting for state sovereignty against armed Palestinian groups and their Lebanese allies.

Militias fought endlessly, and after Israel ejected the Palestinian leadership from Lebanon in 1982, fighting continued between Lebanese militias, some of which later imploded or split into warring factions.

A dedicated and talented Geagea ascended the ranks of the Lebanese Forces. By the mid 1980s, still 33, he became its undisputed leader. In addition to his paramilitary skills, Geagea displayed organizational abilities as his party launched a television program that still maintains the highest viewership in the region. The Lebanese Forces also created medical care and educational institutions.

Civil wars are never civil, and no matter his community services, Geagea remained a militiaman. In this capacity, he - like every other Lebanese politician - ordered battles and assassinations of rivals. Geagea's militia record tarnished his reputation.

In 1990, Lebanon became under Syrian control with American acquiescence. Damascus was finally allowed, not only to call the shots in Beirut, but also - as a victor - to write the history of the civil war.

Under the American-sponsored Syrian rule in Lebanon, which extended from 1990 to 2005, all militias - except for Hezbollah - were dissolved, as militia leaders repackaged themselves as politicians.

Except for Geagea who insisted on Syrian withdrawal and Lebanese sovereignty, all other Lebanese militia-leaders-turned-politicians were rewarded with senior state positions and lofty subsidies for their supporters.

Geagea never succumbed to Syrian rule and was punished. In 1994, a bombing charge was fabricated against him and he was sentenced to life in prison. The Lebanese Forces party, now a licensed political party, was banned by law. Meanwhile, Lebanese and Syrian media launched a campaign to vilify Geagea for the decade that followed.

A sudden turn of events in 2005 forced a Syrian withdrawal. Syria's former friends-turned-opponents then lobbied for Geagea's release.

Once out of jail, Geagea joined the anti-Syrian March 14 movement. While his allies had to publicly regret decades of behaving as Syria's puppets, at the expense of Lebanese sovereignty, Geagea stood tall. He had served 11 years in prison for refusing Syrian diktats, and in 2005, he resumed preaching his pro-sovereignty principles from the point where he had stopped.

A changing world leadership, however, later dropped the ball in Lebanon and completely halted support for democracy, especially after Barack Obama became president in 2008. As such, the mercurial Lebanese politicians jumped off the democracy and independence ship, which they deemed sinking, and humiliatingly begged Syria - now the focus of American and world attention - to take them back.

A maverick Geagea stayed on that ship. He became the last man standing in support of independence and state sovereignty, insisting that the Hezbollah militia disarm. With his militia history far behind most Lebanese, and with what had remained of it absolved by his decade in solitary confinement, Geagea started winning support from outside of the nation's Christian community, a rare phenomenon in Lebanon's fragmented population.

Samir Geagea today is betting against the political realities of Lebanon, the Middle East and the world. For doing so, he has earned the admiration of frustrated pro independence Lebanese - Christian, Muslim and Druze - and the ire of Syria and its Lebanese protégés.

Samir Geagea is proving to be the only man of principles in Lebanon. For that, he should be applauded as the last freedom fighter in the Middle East, at a time when the world is looking for dictators to entertain.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby Abou Jamra » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:31 am

Their are op/eds out there that claim GMA is the messiah. Hussein is entitled to his opinion, but why did he fall short on naming Jumblat clearly this article is a comparison between the two.

A maverick Geagea stayed on that ship

there is a fine line between heroisim and stupidity. why stay on a sinking ship? ego, pride or is it prinicples? ahh the spirit of M14 and the lost souls still following it. i pity them.

anyway Geagea's record as a criminal and warlord speaks for it self, people are not fooled by these opinions and labels.

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Abou Jamra

Postby jieh1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:50 pm

This is funny "Their are op/eds out there that claim GMA is the messiah" a person who changes his mind on every single enemy out there... starting from Iraq, Iran, france, USA, Syria and blind loyalty to the Hizb who's islamic revolution is only true to the destruction of Lebanon and the greatness of the Mullahs of Iran ...

The only thing that he is a a true "messiah" for is his animosity towards batrak or the LF and of course their destruction is the only way out even if it means the wiping out of any christian existence.

"Geagea's record as a criminal and warlord speaks for it self" ok does this mean that you only make allies with good honest people?
the list speaks for itself:

Ahmadinajad not a criminal?
Assad -is not a criminal?
Nasralla is not a criminal?
Berri is not a criminal?
Jumblat is not a criminal?
jieh1

Postby haroun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:41 am

what's obvious is that all the aounieh have memorized one line from their Master general el Rabieh and that is:

"Geagea's record as a criminal and warlord speaks for itself"

you should remember that many of us are proud of the man's heroic record. His ship is the only sailing in calm seas, and never was shaken by the tempests of terrorists or their sponsors. We as Lebanese should consider ourselves luky to have such a man around to promote our ideals of freedom, liberty and total independance.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
haroun

Postby jieh2008 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 am

Hussain Abdul-Hussain worked for Alhurra TV as a news producer.
Prior to joining Alhurra, he worked as a reporter and later as editor for The Daily Star.
He often contributes editorials to Annahar , Al-Ahram , and Abu Dhabi's The National. He appears regularly on satellite TV stations.
Abdul-Hussain is a graduate of the American University of Beirut.
Now about Syria which is more important to the world interests than Lebanon according to Obama and his lack of foreign policy skills say the least. Such a view is the opposite of his leftist belief which is that no country is more important than other, just like how all individuals are equal. That is why a lot of confusion among our politicians, because they don’t where, when or how the wind is blowing , they can’t sail on their own, which bring me back to Geagea who is staying the course ignoring the winds and waves and sailing hopefully to a safe harbor. Abdul Hussain might have geo-strategically motive in making Geagea bigger than he his. But I kind agree with Geagea who likes to protect his country and leave other countries to mind their own business.
Finally I hope Hezbollah will not face the same end as the PLO or the Syrians or the rest of the others who play a role in the civil wars. They must get rid themselves of that image as followers of this or that county acting on behalf of colonial powers.

And I will leave you with a quote from Gibran:
Are you a newspaperman who sells his idea and principle in the slave market, who lives on the misery of people like a buzzard which descends only upon a decaying carcass?
Or are you a teacher on the platform of the city gathering experience from life and presenting it to the people as sermons you have learned?
If you are the first, then you are a sore and an ulcer. If you are the second, then you are a balsam and a medicine.
jieh2008
advanced member

Postby Abou Jamra » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:11 pm

jieh1 wrote:This is funny "Their are op/eds out there that claim GMA is the messiah" a person who changes his mind on every single enemy out there... starting from Iraq, Iran, france, USA, Syria and blind loyalty to the Hizb who's islamic revolution is only true to the destruction of Lebanon and the greatness of the Mullahs of Iran ...

The only thing that he is a a true "messiah" for is his animosity towards batrak or the LF and of course their destruction is the only way out even if it means the wiping out of any christian existence.

"Geagea's record as a criminal and warlord speaks for it self" ok does this mean that you only make allies with good honest people?
the list speaks for itself:

Ahmadinajad not a criminal?
Assad -is not a criminal?
Nasralla is not a criminal?
Berri is not a criminal?
Jumblat is not a criminal?

I never said, they are all bunch of thugs with the exception of Ahmadinajad and SHN. how have you come to the conclusion that Ahmadinajad is a criminal?

anyway thats not the topic of conversation. why dont you and Haroun give me list of the times GeaGea stood as an independant and opposed all others. Give me a list of those heroic maverick like acts. Feel free to start off from the day after the signing of Taef.

Abou Jamra

Postby Abou Jamra » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:35 pm

جعجع وزهرا يتصلان بالسفير السوري!
علم موقع "ليبانون فايلز" أنّ النائبة ستريدا جعجع اتصلت شخصياً بالسفارة السورية وقدمت اعتذارها عن حضور حفل الاستقبال في العيد الوطني السوري مؤكدة انها سترسل ممثلاً عنها لحضور حفل الاستقبال. كذلك اتصل معتذراً النائب انطوان زهرا ورئيس حزب الوطنيين الأحرار دوري شمعون

A maverick indeed. lol a week after this article geagea sends his boys to celebrate Syria independance day. Cute.

Abou Jamra

Postby jieh1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:46 am

"why dont you and Haroun give me list of the times GeaGea stood as an independant and opposed all others. Give me a list of those heroic maverick like acts. Feel free to start off from the day after the signing of Taef."

AJ,
Samir Geagea is in no way a hero... let's leave that to GMA daily heroics... but comparatively speaking he is a real maverick by what he does not do:

10 - Geagea did not say "Hizbullah Arms for Use against Israel, Army's Weapons for Internal Disputes" Unbelievably.... the former army commander General Michele Aoun did, and i don't have to go to obscure website to see that, it is in the newspapers today!

9 - Geagea does not support Iran sending new exotic weapons to Arm the Hizb...Aoun has no problem with it

8- Geagea did not block out the formation of the government for months just so that he could install his brother in law

7- Geagea does not consistently dress down the christian head figures while he has no problems kissing ass and praising the Shiite mullahs of Iran and Dahyeh!

6- Geagea does not parade in Beirut streets in support of a dictatorship and its Army at every single chance he gets (formerly that GMA destroyed lebanon to have it withdraw)

5 - Geagea did not blockade the capital downtown and be so proud of putting the Lebanese & the government out of business

4- Geagea did not support Hizballah in the destruction of Lebanon in 2006 war

3- Geagea continues not to support hizballah after the 2006 war while Aoun continues to do so more than ever

2- Geagea did not support the invasion of Beirut by Hizballa on May 7th while Aoun said he protected the christian population with with this invasion

And the number ONE reason Geagea is a maverick by what he does not do:

1- Geagea does not celebrate Mar Maroun feast in Syria
jieh1

Postby Abou Jamra » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 am

What's this a david letterman top ten list?

so basically all geagea has done is oppose GMA and have a different view on every issue and 3ayad St Maroun (a saint fo syrian origin) feast day in lebanon boohoo. i celebrated it in sydney does that make me any less of a maronite?

Abou Jamra

Postby jieh1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:33 am

"so basically all geagea has done is oppose GMA and have a different view on every issue and 3ayad St Maroun (a saint fo syrian origin) feast day in lebanon boohoo. i celebrated it in sydney does that make me any less of a maronite?"

OK AJ... so in your opinion Sydney is equal to Syria? i'd like to remind you that Syria is a country ruled by an absolute dictator, where nobody has any freedom of speech or anything else for that matter... and for GMA to jump at its defense in this manner is beyond belief!!! oh again by the way... do you still remember why was GMA "exiled" to France?
jieh1

Postby george » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 am

On the Geo-political scale Lebanon's weight is non-existant. In World trade Lebanon probably ranks pretty low at the bottom. On the tourism scale probably Rawanda is more humble than Lebanon in deserving its title as the "Switzerland of Something in Africa ...".

Lebanon has no Electric Power (12 hours rationing every day). No Drinking water. No good health standards. No inspection on 99% of restaurants. Most meats in supermarket is infested with highly dangerous viruses. Yes we have some unkept, neglected dirty tourists attractions but so does almost every other country in the world. No one really counts any weight for Lebanon and we keep glorifying Lebanese leaders and putting them up there with the gods knowing well that their achievements are next to nil.

Pity this damned nation.

And now we have mavericks, feudal lords, war lords, secterian lords, u name it except real leaders. They thrive on secterian divisions and cold blooded murders , they hide under their religious or foreign mentors. They fought amongst themselves just to satisfy their personal large sick egos and killed thousands in their bloody wars. They are like beasts zombies risen from their crypts but still spilling blood along the way.

Their mental and inteligence levels is below that of a domestic turkey and like that poor turkey they probably are as stupid as to be reminded as how to eat every day. They have no single achievement to show for. Some people even write paens to them. What have they done to the Lebanese people?????

I tell what they have done: They wrought destruction and misery to Lebanon. Go ahead and keep glorifying them. probably some of these stegosaurus will pose with u for a photo opp.
george
Site Admin

Postby george » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

[quote........... A Maverick - Hussain Abdul-Hussain - The Huffington Post[/quote]

On a lighter note now, when is HAH going up live with Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly??? I am pissed Arianna beat our friend Rush Limbaugh with HEsh' (sorry HAH) article.
george
Site Admin

Postby Abou Jamra » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:21 pm

jieh1 wrote:OK AJ... so in your opinion Sydney is equal to Syria? i'd like to remind you that Syria is a country ruled by an absolute dictator, where nobody has any freedom of speech or anything else for that matter... and for GMA to jump at its defense in this manner is beyond belief!!! oh again by the way... do you still remember why was GMA "exiled" to France?

such a shallow reply which avoided my question. off topic DUDE. you want to give me school yard answers and comments i will follow up with school boy replies. hows this! At least maronites are able to celebrate St maroun in syria and pratice their religion freely are they able to do the same in Saudi Arabia??

yes i remember very clearly, because he was the sole person to oppose the syrian military accupation, and he always said we want best relations with syria as long as it withdraws its troops from lebanon. syria withdrew in 05 thanks to GMA and 1559. its time to heal rather than to kill.

Abou Jamra

Postby Abou Jamra » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:56 pm

george wrote:On the Geo-political scale Lebanon's weight is non-existant. In World trade Lebanon probably ranks pretty low at the bottom. On the tourism scale probably Rawanda is more humble than Lebanon in deserving its title as the "Switzerland of Something in Africa ...".

Lebanon has no Electric Power (12 hours rationing every day). No Drinking water. No good health standards. No inspection on 99% of restaurants. Most meats in supermarket is infested with highly dangerous viruses. Yes we have some unkept, neglected dirty tourists attractions but so does almost every other country in the world. No one really counts any weight for Lebanon and we keep glorifying Lebanese leaders and putting them up there with the gods knowing well that their achievements are next to nil.

Pity this damned nation.

And now we have mavericks, feudal lords, war lords, secterian lords, u name it except real leaders. They thrive on secterian divisions and cold blooded murders , they hide under their religious or foreign mentors. They fought amongst themselves just to satisfy their personal large sick egos and killed thousands in their bloody wars. They are like beasts zombies risen from their crypts but still spilling blood along the way.

Their mental and inteligence levels is below that of a domestic turkey and like that poor turkey they probably are as stupid as to be reminded as how to eat every day. They have no single achievement to show for. Some people even write paens to them. What have they done to the Lebanese people?????

I tell what they have done: They wrought destruction and misery to Lebanon. Go ahead and keep glorifying them. probably some of these stegosaurus will pose with u for a photo opp.

agreed.

let me say this bluntly ( and as off topic as it might be) and i am in freakin bad bad mood. you had the chance to do something on a domestic level jieh) council) level why didnt you? F&%K u woud have got my vote and i am sure the majority also. shoo 2ousotkon man? enta khayak, wa khayak bayak etc...sorry for being so straight forward you got me on a bad night.

Abou Jamra

Postby jieh1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 am

"Bassil: EDL Started Cutting Power Supply to Politicians and Others Who Failed to Pay Their Dues"

We all know who is not paying electric bills in lebanon... i can't wait to see the end of this.
jieh1

Next

Return to Politics - Lebanon