Vote for Lebanons Natural Wonders

Environmental Concerns and Discussions

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

Charbel
advanced member

Vote for Lebanons Natural Wonders

Post by Charbel »

Because we were too busy fighting each other and the church, Baalbek slipped into oblivion when the new 7 wonders of the world were announced.

Truley, outside the pyramids, Baalbek is the only other claim to fame for one of the wonders of the world.

The biggest and the best preserved temple in all of the Roman kingdom did not even get a sniff. People just dont know about. It just doesnt exist to people outside of Lebanon. And for people in Lebanon, its nothing but a 2000 year old grafitti wall.

Now that Baalbeks chances of International recognition has passed. Attention now turns to the Natural Wonders of the World.

If i had a choice, i would put Lebanon the Country as 1, and Lebanese people as 2. The lebanese people are a wonder...but we diagress...

I nominate the Jieta Grotto.

Problem with Jeita, as with Baalbek, is that it does not exist to people outside of Lebanon. And part of that problem lays sqaurely in the laps of the people who take care of the Grotto.

You pay $2000 for a plane ticket, travel halfway across the world and get to the Grotto and find out that your not allowed to take photos. That is a great marketing and advertising decision by the Grotto administrators.

So i go back home and tell my family and friends. "Hey I was in a big cave with things haging down it looked so nice but i got no photos"

And of the rare pictures that you do see, it does look crap. I was never interested in the Grotto until i actually saw it for myself.

Rambling over, time to give the Natural Beauty of Lebanon the credit if deserves. Enough of Hezbollah, Aoun, JeaJea, Sanoira crying on the 6pm news.

This vote may not mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but its to give Lebanons natural beauty a voice, and recognition.

Vote For Jieta and your favourite Lebanese Natural Wonder.

Cedars of Lebanon?
Barouq Cedars
Wadi Kannoubine?
Jieh?
Bekaa Valley?
Jezzine Pines?
Kadisha Valley?
Roache?
Natural Bridge?
Add your Own.

http://www.natural7wonders.com/index.php?id=637
danyhr
advanced member

Post by danyhr »

the natural bridge you speak of is Faqra - it's really beautiful.
i agree with your post, Lebanon is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, all condensed into 10452sq.kms. :-)
In much of your talking, thinking is half murdered - GKG.
haroun

Post by haroun »

Charbel.

Unfortunately Baalbek is suffering from neighborhood fatigue. People living in its shadows are abusing it and belittling its visitors. No one in straight mind would vote baalbek knowing what’s happening at its doors and stairs.

About Jieta, don’t be upset, the reason photography is not allowed is the high frequency light (UV) emitted by modern flash lamps will damage the stalagmites and stalactites natures has worked relentlessly millions of years to create. On this one, I think the authorities are right to ask you to place your camera in the safe before you enter.

Natural sites don’t count as the whole planet is a wonder. As for Tyr, Byblos Sidon and Jieh the locals must care about them first and appreciate their value before we expect the world to give a damn.

One way to get more recognition is for the Lebanese to start acting like guardians of a valuable heritage and not opportunistic salesmen milking it.

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
yorgi

Post by yorgi »

I don't know if what I am going to nominate to the list would actually be classed as a "natural" wonder of Lebanon but it is surely a wonder. That is our beloved politicians & zo3ama.
Followers should never follow there leaders blindly because most of the time the leader is also blind & only looking out for there own interests & no one else.
Charbel
advanced member

Post by Charbel »

I thought about the flash part. But They got lights in there 24/7 and other caves around the world let you and sometimes encourage you to take photos.

Ill look into it.
haroun

Post by haroun »

Charbel,

I saw this interesting note about flash photography in some Nevada caves brochure. It claims flash photography puts fellow visitors in danger of "being disoriented and reduced night vision" which could be very real in a place like Jieta Cave. I am not a lighting engineer but I know enough to get myself in trouble.

ATTENTION PHOTOGRAPHERS!
The use of flash photography in Lehman Caves
decreases night vision and disorients other visitors.
During guided tours, rangers will inform you
when and where photography is appropriate.
Your cooperation is appreciated.
Prince Cadmus II

Post by Prince Cadmus II »

YORGI: Is that wonder or WANDER???
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Charbel
advanced member

Post by Charbel »

Our Politicians belong to the Ancient Wonders Category. There is nothing natural about them.