"Jiyeh" Violin Concerto

Environmental Concerns and Discussions

Moderators: Abou Jamra, Prince Cadmus II

haroun

"Jiyeh" Violin Concerto

Post by haroun »

Johnathan Berger of Stanford University used the satellite images of the oil spill in our town to compose a musical piece. The music represents the evolution of the ornate oil patterns visible in the sattelite images to evoke auditory display of this disaster.
The concerto uses measurements and contour plots from the sattelite images to generate sections of the work, in particular the first movement, in which the spread of the oil is represented in three distinct sections, and in the third movement in which the development of the contour is mapped and translated into the increasingly ornate violin solo.

check this website for more details and to download the concert (About 100Meg):

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~brg/jiyeh.html

Jiyeh is a small coastal town in Lebanon built upon the ancient city of Porphyreon, reputed to be the site where a giant fish delivered Jonah to the shore. On July 14th 2006 a coastal power station in Jiyeh was attacked in an Israeli air strike causing over 20,000 tons of oil to spill into the Mediterranean Sea. Although there has been relatively little information regarding the ecological impact of this massive spill a series of sattelite photos show the dispersion pattern of the oil. These patterns appear as Baroque-like ornaments that distort the contour of the Lebanese coast line.

I was in Jerusalem in July 2006 and read a fleeting and innocuous news report regarding an oil spill on the Lebanese coast apparently caused by an air or ship based missile attack on an aging power plant in Jiyeh. Little information was forthcoming although the estimates of the amount of oil spilled were alarming. In September I asked Jeff Koseff if he had any information about the spill. He replied that, to his knowledge, there were only sattelite photographs and that those were yet to be carefully analyzed. The eight-channel electroacoustic work is the first of a set of two pieces - the second a three movement concerto for solo violin, percussion and string orchestra.
The electroacoustic work uses data from the sattelite photographs to set parameters for synthesis and processing of sounds, as well as creating source audio material using a raster scan direct synthesis method bing developed by my PhD student Woon Seung Yeo. The music represents the evolution of the ornate oil patterns visible in the sattelite images to evoke auditory display of this disaster.
The concerto uses measurements and contour plots from the sattelite images to generate sections of the work, in particular the first movement, in which the spread of the oil is represented in three distinct sections, and in the third movement in which the development of the contour is mapped and translated into the increasingly ornate violin solo.

Jonathan Berger is a composer and researcher at CCRMA. His compositions include chamber, symphonic and vocal music as well as works incorporating digital synthesis and processing. His research includes developing methods and tools for effective auditory display of complex data. Berger's recent recording of chamber music for strings will be released this Spring by Naxos recordings on their American Masters series.
Abou Jamra

Post by Abou Jamra »

Had people supported Dr Nassif Azzi's and Najem Azzi's idea of having a jieh festival in the week leading up to the Our lady feast Day. Prof jonathan berger would have performed his musical piece at the Church square.

Thanks for that Haroun.

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council
Prince Cadmus II

Post by Prince Cadmus II »

This is actually pretty interesting. I saw this website last month and was going to post it in here when I got to listen to it. I downloaded the file but for some reason it wasn't working.

It's just interesting how they can convert the oil spill contours into sound, and it's definitely not something worth trumpeting about on the church steps, revelling in destruction of our hometown because of a few clowns and their orange coloured allies who decided to wage war on their own homeland last year.

I sincerely doubt that Jonathan Berger, a Jew, would be in Jieh to present a musical conversion of a natural disaster that destroyed Lebanon's tourist seasons for years to come.

How about rejoicing in happiness and getting rid of the past hey?
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
"Upon the Tsurian sea the people live who style themselves Phoenicians...
These were the first great founders of the world
Founders of cities and of mighty states"
Prince Cadmus II

Okay I've got it working. The file is in Audio Interchange Format, which is used by APPLE. You will need Apple Quicktime Player on your PC if you want to be able to listen to it.

It sounds pretty freaky, like something out of Godzilla or Predator
haroun

Post by haroun »

Exactly Prince!
A camel will walk through the eye of a needle before Jonathan Berger walks in Jieh. I don't know how Nassif a Aouni connected with an arch enemy of his friends and suggested to bring him to town. Anyway, let's assume he brought Mr Berger to Jieh, can he gather more than five people to listen to this freaky mix of percussions and violin? Within minutes people will jump up and down and say "ma fi 3anna nowbe hown, Jeyeblna nowbeh men America?" forget this sh!t, bring us back our dabke and derbake.... That will make Nassif look bad in front of his guests - not a good move for a promising politicain!.

For those interested in listening to the audio you need Apple' Quicktime as Prince suggested, the whole thing is about five minutes, I don't understand why the file is so big!

شمعون: حرام أن يعير احد عون أهمية لأن دواءه ليس عندنا بل في العصفورية
الجوزو: لقد سقط لبنان وسقطت حكوماته، بفضل إرهاب حزب الله
Prince Cadmus II

The file is big because AIF files are usually of top quality and are lossless. That is why Apple uses them as a standard for high quality music recordings. It is like even higher than a WAVE file as opposed to MP3. But Im sure there is a way to convert it to MP3 if anyone wants it.
Charbel
advanced member

Post by Charbel »

Which other village can boast about having a soundtrack made especially for them by outsiders?
Abou Jamra

Post by Abou Jamra »

haroun wrote:Exactly Prince!
A camel will walk through the eye of a needle before Jonathan Berger walks in Jieh. I don't know how Nassif a Aouni connected with an arch enemy of his friends and suggested to bring him to town. Anyway, let's assume he brought Mr Berger to Jieh, can he gather more than five people to listen to this freaky mix of percussions and violin? Within minutes people will jump up and down and say "ma fi 3anna nowbe hown, Jeyeblna nowbeh men America?" forget this sh!t, bring us back our dabke and derbake.... That will make Nassif look bad in front of his guests - not a good move for a promising politicain!.

For those interested in listening to the audio you need Apple' Quicktime as Prince suggested, the whole thing is about five minutes, I don't understand why the file is so big!

This reminds me of Dr Nassif Azzi's story about the Homous and the Caviar.

A dinner was held at Jonas in honor of the Australian ambassador, Dr Nassif' staff served a french cuisine with salmon and caviar as the entree. Jieh People complained that their was no Homous. lol

Also another classic. This time by emm Haroun

this was hillarious.

Emm Haroun is a member of the legion of mary the 2akhaweye. A holy lady indeed.

One day during Lunch at the Haroun residence, azzigf tells emm Haroun "It's easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle, than for a rich person to enter into heaven"

Emm Haroun replies.

"Ma fee shee be2esme"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"My expectations as always are low" Haroun on Jieh council